Friday, August 28, 2009

Iguazu falls

I think there is something slightly magical about waterfalls, and the Iguazu Falls on the Argentinian and Brazilian border are absolutely no exception. People leave the place grinning like cheshire cats, and even the most tourist-attraction cynical traveller couldn´t help but be enchanted by Iguazu. I was a bit in this category and had very high expectations of these waterfalls, given that everytime they were mentioned you´d just see this glazed look come over people´s faces accompanied by a big sigh and something along the lines of ¨ooooooh Iguazu...¨, followed by glowing praise for how amazing it was.

I hadn´t actually planned on going there so soon, but figured it would actually probably work out better if I did. So, one 17 hr bus ride later (more on that later) I made it to Puerto Iguazu, and into what must be the most amazing hostel I´ve been in a while...if not ever. This place was fantastic, complete with swimming pool, Tango show and the best BBQ buffet and free caparainha cocktails!! And of course lots of nice people!

But back to the main attraction. Well I can definitely see how people end up raving about Iguazu, because it is absolutely an amazing spectacle. No point gushing about it here really, but what really struck me was the power of the water, in both volume and force. First we took a speedboat up the rapids and went under some of the falls (getting completely soaked of course, but it was a stunningly sunny day!). All up the river were eddies, whirlpools and currents and sometimes the boat was fighting to make it (or so it felt like). A little nerve wracking but I figured these guys do hundreds of these trips so must be experienced (unless I had the Learner...??!). What I noticed from here though was how loud it was!

Then from above, where you can walk right out and literally stand on the edge of the falls, you really can get a grasp on just how little chance you´d have if you got caught on the edge (a few kamikaze butterflies found this fate). It really puts the strength of nature into perspective when you can see millions of litres of water crashing down around you, with the spray reaching up into the sky to pretty much join the clouds. But standing there looking at it it really is mesmerizing, and as one of the girls I was with said it ¨puts you in your happy place¨.

So after a big day walking around and avoiding Kuwati attacks (¨no los toches!¨), back at the hostel that night we had a nice chillout by the pool and some more fantastic Argentinian BBQ. And I now know why the meat tastes so damn good. Driving across country I noticed paddocks full of steaks - I mean - cows, happily going about their business in lush, green, waterlogged pastures. No wonder their meet is so juicy tender!

Hasta pronto amigos! (and I will try and find a computer that uploads photos I´m sorry to be getting behind!!)

x Felicity

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That sounds absolutely amazing! A very visual description of the falls. The hostel seems like the place to be...make the most of the comforts there. xox

Unknown said...

how is the foot? Seems that you are having fun and travelling great distances. Your mother is a pest! Love Papa

Post a Comment