Wednesday, August 19, 2009

No entiendo?

Hola!

Yes I have arrived safe and (somewhat) well in Buenos Aires. I say somewhat, because despite smooth flying for some reason I was in a complete daze and not feeling too great when we fiiiiinally landed. Convenient how the mind seems to so easily play down the experience of long haul flights--I realised this about 4 hours, 2 movies and one chocolatey snack pack later into the 13 hour trip that mega plane trips actually aren´t all that great, and apart from the (brief) excitement of seeing New Zealand from 35,000 ft, the novelty doesn´t take long to wear pretty thin.... But, hitting the coast of Chile I did temporarily forgot that my head was spinning and I was having trouble getting through my breakfast, because the site was quite spectacular and almost enough to begin the process of once again forgetting the horribleness of the previous 12 hours.

Earth From the Air, 3 things I liked:
1) On the map of SthAm you can see all these dotty bits at the Chilean coast. Flying over explains this, because it really does look like the edge of the continent hasn´t quite worked out if it´s going to sink or float, so instead it´s just half sitting there creating little islands all clustered together and surrounded by water.
2) The part of Chile that looked like elephant skin. No really! It was all textured and weathered and wrinkly and that really was what it reminded me of!
3) The lovely snow capped peaks of I assume the Andes, and then the road which I hope isn´t one of the 20+ hr bus rides I´m considering taking because it was straight and loooooong and definitely something to rival the Nullabor!


So after about a 20 hr sleep, I am feeling much revived, and ready to set out into la ciudad a la mañana. On the drive to the hostel, even in my might-throw-up-any-minute state (no really, I even brought the bag from the plane with me!), I did have time to marvel at the 20 lane highway (20! city-bound that is too), and notice with some confusion that apparently the grass beside said highway makes the perfect picnic spot for many-a family on a sunny Monday afternoon! Interesting folk in BsAs it seems...

Oh, and I nearly forgot the story behind the title! Well, you´ll be pleased to know that I have also had my first Spanish-Spanish interaction. This is how it went down:

Lady: De donde [...]?
Me: Umm....
Lady: [...] chicas de Mexico [...]?
Me: Umm...No entiendo? Lo siento!

Hasta pronto!

x Felicity

4 comments:

kt_rose84 said...

Boo for boring/long flights, but yay for getting there in one piece! stomach intact even!!

Can't wait to hear of further (language) adventures!
Love lots petal.
Kt
xoxo

Lauren Fraser said...

Glad to hear you've arrived safely, hope you're feeling stacks better very soon! Look forward to hearing more updates
xo Lauren

Jan said...

hope they don't try and cross the road after their picnic!
May need translation on the spanish though..mine is RUSTY!!!! Enjoy and hope the toe holds up!! xoxo

Felicity said...

Muchas gracias mis amigas!

Translation of my Spanish efforts mum? ¨I don´t understand. Sorry!¨ :)

Post a Comment