Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Am I in Paris?

Day 1: Buenos Aires

It´s true what they say that Buenos Aires feels like Europe, because it really does seem like a cousin of Paris, with an Obelisk instead of an Eiffel tower. Wandering around as I like to do, it feels really safe and normal, even at times just feels like being in the city at home. But there are a few things that do remind me of Paris. Por ejemplo:

*Lovely long, wide, tree lined Avenues.
*Dogs. Lots of dogs, and all that goes with them. You see these professional dog-walkers trotting a tangle of about 12 dogs down the streets. What a job!
*Smell. Yep GT, that good old Paris smell, though not everywhere thankfully (maybe the men are more picky here) but it has definitely caught my nose a few times. Though on a more pleasant olfactory note, I have also had to turn my nose to notice more than one good-looking bakery, with windows full of gorgeous looking pastries which might require tasting!
*Architecture, those lovely buildings are SO Marais, and I did see what looked like a Madeleine house, from which I half expected Miss Clavel to come running.


And a few things that don´t quite sit consistently with the glamorous Parisienne image BsAs has going on:
*The cars and buses look like they´ve been caught in a time-warp. I´m no car expert but I´m guessing I´d place them around-about 50´s style. Very cute though!
*Road rules ain´t so strict...Exhibit A was a guy riding in the back of a ute with a kid. Exhibit C was the 10 lanes of traffic on the 8 lanes that were actually marked.
*Street-sleepers. A lot of them. All set up with mattresses etc on the main streets and in parks. Particularly sad was the guy I saw playing with his kid in their cardboard box house (literally, it was a cardboard box) outside the National Congress. Ironic.
*Manual labour/transportation of stuff in bulk sometimes reminds me of asia: eg Man on bike with a basket on the front piled with about 50 loaves of bread. And, this man riding in the back of a truck atop a pile of meat (bones and the like, I´m assuming these weren´t the famous Argentinian steaks).
*The way people dress is quite casj, not to be snobby given that my backpack wardrobe selection ain´t all that great, but BsAs women I haven´t noticed being quite as coiffed and polished as their Parisienne rivals.

But this is a really cool city, I like it a lot. It has a great laid back feel and I love that the people are all so nice and friendly, and apparently quite tolerant of tourists like me that massacre their language! It is really beautiful to look at, and I like the added twist of the unexpected that seems such a contrast to the general image of the place.

Chau for now!

x Felicity

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Loved the photos...feel that I am travelling with you xoxoxo

Unknown said...

Hey Flip
Your blog is really fabulous - just like a diary except we all get to see it. I'm assuming that you've been able to walk around pretty much unhindered - apart from linguistically that is (ha ha). Anyway its like having a personal roving reporter - so we'll just wait for that next scoop! Keep on blogging. Love J

Unknown said...

Good afternoon Felicity
I had a look at your travel diary and photos care of John's laptop. Very impressive.
I do hope all continues to go well with your travels.
Love Petee

Andrew said...

Sounds like a place to be, with such combination of flavours! I'm sure it would feel more Parisian if they decided to start charging climbs up the Obelisk, and selling crepes down the bottom...next to a pile of poodle poo. :)
Keep those fantastic photos coming! And have fun!

Post a Comment